Summer on the Islands Festival 2023!
Embrace West Cork’s unique island life at the Summer on the Islands Festival 2023!
Spend the summer making lasting memories as you visit eight West Cork islands, meet seven island communities, and immerse yourself in the experience of the Wild Atlantic Way. The Summer on the Islands Festival is a wonderful way to savour the best of island life!
More events will be added as the season progresses, so stay up to date by subscribing to our Island Ezine!
Here are just a few of the Summer on the Islands Festival events to tempt you across the water.
Go on … Get out there!
- Wild Flower Walk and Picnic 13 May 2023 – Long Island
- Yoga and Sound Retreat 19 – 21 May 2023 – Bere Island
- Fastnet Film Festival 24 – 28 May 2023 – Long Island (more details to follow)
- Wild Flower Walk and Picnic 27 May 2023 – Long Island
- Ukulele Festival 02 – 05 June 2023 – Bere Island
- Alchemy Yoga Retreat 02 – 04 June 2023 – Heir Island
- The Wild and Wondrous Retreat 08-12 June 2023 – Bere Island
- Yoga Retreat with Ian Revins 23 – 25 June 2023 – Heir Island
- West Cork Chamber Music Festival 23 June – 02 July 2023 (selection of events on Whiddy Island)
- West Cork Literary Festival 07 – 14 July 2023 (selection of events Whiddy Island)
- Swim Week 10 – 14 July 2023 – Bere Island
- West Cork Runners Retreat 17 – 20 July 2023 – Bere Island
- GAA Cúl Camp 17 – 21 July 2023 – Bere Island
- Children’s Summer Camp 24 – 26 July 2023 – Bere Island
- Sailing Week 24 – 28 July 2023 – Bere Island
- Children’s Summer Camp 31 July – 02 August 2023 – Bere Island
- Bere Island Festival 08 – 13 August 2023
- West Cork Runners Retreat 14 -17 August 2023 – Bere Island
- Sailing Week 31 July – 04 August 2023 – Bere Island
- Bere Island Heritage Week 12-20 August 2023
- Children’s Summer Camp 14 – 16 August 2023 – Bere Island
- Brian Kennedy in Concert 19 August 2023 – Bere Island
- West Cork Masters of Tradition 23 – 27 August 2023 ( Programme to follow)
- Yoga Retreat with Ian Revins 01 – 03 September 2023 – Heir Island
- Cape Clear Storytelling Festival 01 – 03 September 2023
- Bere Island Arts Festival 21 – 24 September 2023
Bere Island Park Run – Every Weekend See Events Calendar
Note: Taste of West Cork will not be going ahead in 2023
Find the full Summer on the Islands Festival programme on the events calendar!
Heritage on the Islands
Away from the mainland, but connected to the currents of world history, our islands have fascinating stories to tell. Visit the heritage centres on Bere Island and Cape Clear to find out about shipwrecks and military history.
This year Bere Island launches its inaugural Military Heritage Festival along with heritage week, walks, talks and tours, you will be transported to a time past and get a better sense of the island’s history.
There will be further events announced celebrating the rich heritage of the West Cork Islands, with local historians on hand to share their knowledge and insights to enhance your island visit.
Culture & Creativity
The West Cork Fit-Up Theatre Festival continues its unique style of theatre through July and August on the islands. Bringing an exciting programme of plays to Sherkin, Bere, Heir, and Whiddy, they create magical moments for the islands!
Sherkin – the island of the arts – also has a busy programme of art and photography exhibitions planned. Performance, exhibition, and tour details will be added here as they become available.
The inaugural Arts Festival on Bere Island will bring a diverse and exciting programme of visual arts, theatre, music, and literature, culminating in a special Culture Night event on Friday 22nd September.
Runs & Regattas
Summer sees the islands celebrate sailing skills in a series of colourful and entertaining regattas, runs and adventure races.
Looking for a different view? The West Cork Island Summer Run series (dates TBC) consists of yearly 3km to 10km events for walkers, joggers, and runners of all abilities. Do one or do them all, you’ll get to see the island landscapes and be part of a community activity.
Check out Active Islands for more details on these events and more!
The Cape Clear Storytelling Festival (1 -3 September ) is a captivating event for storytellers and story-lovers alike! Over more than 20 years, it has become a must-visit event for anyone with a passion for the spoken word.
Heir Island and Bere Island offer yoga retreats allowing you time for reflection in the tranquillity that our islands offer. With a variety of activities and local food to savour, you will return home with renewed vitality.
The Magic of Music
Enjoy the sound of music in the pure island air with a diverse selection of performances and workshops. From Brian Kennedy’s soulful performance to the Ukulele Festival at Bere Island, there’s plenty to keep music lovers entertained. Whiddy Island will again be part of the West Cork Chamber Music and Masters of Tradition Festival programmes. And if you’ve always wanted to sing with more confidence, the Sherkin Vocal Workshop is the perfect opportunity to hone your skills in a stunning island setting.
West Cork’s islands are the jewels of the West Cork coastline. Set in the pristine Atlantic waters that shape Ireland’s south-west peninsulas, their unspoilt landscapes are home to thriving communities with great stories to tell. West Cork’s islanders are waiting to welcome you into a series of events throughout the summer that will celebrate island heritage, and give you the chance to enjoy fabulous local produce, music, and creativity.
There’s something for everyone in our packed Summer on the Islands programme, from island runs and regattas to festivals that celebrate story-telling and Celtic traditions … Throughout the summer, we have a varied and intriguing programme of events on offer. Check out the full programme here.
Keep up to date with what’s on
Follow us on Facebook (West Cork Islands) and on Twitter at @westcorkisland. And sign up to our West Cork islands newsletter to stay in the loop about island news and events all year round!
Enquiries Tel. 086 303 0991 or through the link below.