To visit any of the West Cork islands, check out the listings below for ferry operators and cable car transport
The West Cork islands are situated off the southwest coast of Ireland and although this is a remote part of Ireland, West Cork is excellently served by international and regional transport including airports, buses, and car rentals.
When you’re finding out how to get to the West Cork islands, check ferry timetables carefully and note differences between summer and winter programmes.
Ferry Times to Bere Island
Ferries sail year-round from Castletownbere. Sailings take 10 minutes. Summer and winter timetables differ, so do check carefully to make sure that you have the right Bere Island ferry times for your visit.
- Bere Island Ferries (+353 (0)27 75009; +353 (0)86 2423140; www.bereislandferries.com) depart from Castletownbere, 2km away on the Beara peninsula.
- Murphy’s Ferry Service (+353 (0)27 75014; +353 (0)87 238 6095; www.murphysferry.com) departs from Pontoon, 3 miles on the Glengariff side of Castletownbere.
Ferry Times to Cape Clear
Ferries sail daily from Baltimore, year-round. Sailings take about 45 minutes.
- Contact Cailín Óir Ferries – year round (+353 (0)28 41923; 353 86 3465110; www.cailinoir.com)
- Cape Clear Ferry – June to September (+353 (0)28 39153, 353 87 2824008; www.capeclearferry.com).
- The Karycraft (+353 (0)28 28278; 353 86 237 9302, www.capeclearferries.com) leaves from Schull Pier from June to September.
Cable Car Times to Dursey Island
Ireland’s only cable car departs daily, year-round, from Ballaghboy – at the tip of the Beara peninsula, Co. Cork. The trip takes ten minutes. Please note that trips are limited each day (speak to local accommodation providers for accurate information about the best times to travel).
Ferry Times to Garnish Island
Garnish Island is open from March to October, and there is an island admission charge separate to that charged by ferry boats. Ferries depart Glengariff daily from March to October. Sailings take 15 minutes.
- Contact Glengarriff and Garnish Boat Services (+353 (0)27 63116; www.harbourqueenferry.com) or the Blue Pool Ferry (+353 (0)27 63333; www.bluepoolferry.com).
Ferry Times to Heir Island
Heir Island is a five minute ferry ride from Cunnamore, on the Skibbereen to Ballydehob Road. Sailings are daily, year-round services.
- The MV Thresher (+353 (0)86 8092447, http://www.heirislandferry.com) departs from Cunnamore Pier.
- (0)86 888 7799 heirislandferries.com
Ferry Times to Long Island
A ferry sails from Colla Pier daily, year-round. Sailings take about five minutes.
- Contact the ferry operator, Maurice Coughlan, at +353 (0)86 172 1254.
Ferry Times to Sherkin Island
Ferries sail daily from Baltimore to Sherkin island, year-round. Sailings take 10 minutes.
- Contact Sherkin Ferry (+353 (0)28 20218; +353 (0)87 244 7828, www.sherkinisland.eu/ferry).
Ferry Times to Whiddy Island
Ferries sail from Bantry, daily, year-round. Sailings take 10-15 minutes.
Please note that for summer 2016, ferries will be departing from the Railway Pier rather than on the Bantry House side of the bay. (Leaving the main square, take the left immediately after the statue of St. Brendan and proceed to the end of the road to reach the ferry departure point.
- Contact Whiddy Island Ferry (+353 (0)86 862 6734, http://www.whiddyislandferry.com/).